Some of our Documents were turned over to the post from the estate of Charles A.Gregoire, of Coburn Rd, Tyngsborough. Included in the papers are letters from Mr. Gregoire to the state and national departments of the American Legion relative to the original charter. This was granted, according to the Gregiore papers, March 29, 1939, with Mr.Gregiore taking a prominent part in the organizational meetings. He was also a charter member. The post was first organized as the Tyngsborough American Legion Post #247. From 1939 - 1956 Legion meetings were held at the Town Hall and in the Highway Dept Garage on Kendall Road. The purchase of the new building was made in 1956. Many of the early records have been lost and the papers of Mr. Gregoire became doubly valuable to help fill in the gaps of the Post's history.
On May 12th 1957 over 250 visitors were on hand for impressive dedicatory ceremonies conducted by the Post as it offically opened its new home. Honored guests included Representative Edith Nourse Rogers, Senator Edward J. DeSaulnier and State Representative Vernon R. Fletcher. Selectmen Edward H. O'Connor conveyed the greetings and best wishes of the town government, and Selectman John W. Lewis was also present . Karl R. Stratton was master-of-ceremonies. DVC George K. Walker, who delivered the dedicatory speech, traced the history of the post since its organization in 1939, and the mark it has left on the community. DVC Walker pointed out that the acquisition and furnishing of building is not the end of the local Post's effort, rather it can be a means to increase local intrest in the objectives of the American Legion.
High Legion officials were present from Bristol, Hampden, Essex and Middlesex counties. The Legion auxiliary was represented by Miss Ann Meledy, of Waltham, director of the Middlesex county council of auxiliaries and Miss Genevieve Buncker, a member of the national executive committee.
During the ceremony a large wooden key decorated with a gold ribbon was turned over by Victor Illg, building committee chairman, to the commander. This was symbolic of the transfer of custodianship to the post. The Commander had the badge of office pinned on his uniform by DVC George K. Walker during the ceremony.
On May 10, 1958 Legion Commander John Mackey was master of ceremonies at the dedication of the new Legion headquarters as the Robert D. Pelletier, Post #247 In Honor The first man from Tyngsborough killed in action in World War ll. Pfc Robert D. Pelletier, USMC, killed November 3, 1942 at Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands.
The Post assisted in the 4-H Arbor Day program this same year, when shrubs were planted at the Lakeview School and Comrade Magoon, was instrumental in obtaining for the Post a flag which had flown over the White House in Washington, D.C and was presented to the Post by Rep. Edith Nourse Rogers. the flag was raised at the Post home the following Veterans' Day.
Many years are undocumented. However the members lounge and function hall were added in the early to middle 1960s. In early 1967, Commander William Elliot, and Jr. Vice Commander Peter McCoy, made several trips to Edith Nourse Rogers, Veterans Administration Hospital. The purpose was to negotiate with the hospital to allow patients to be brought to the post for off station dinners. Finally successful, the monthly off station dinners for the patients began. Serving a home cooked meal, and dancing to the WE3 Orchestra with wives of the members, and ladies from the Ladies Auxiliary. Entertainment and bingo was added, with the winners receiving, Veterans Canteen Service, coupon books. At the end of the bingo games, those that did not win were given a book of coupons. The books were purchased from the hospital by the post and the patients used them for purchases at the hospital canteen. 45 years later the dinners continue on the first Wednesday of the month, September through June. With Legionnaire - Amvet Ted Thing as Chef and a dedicated group of legion family members and volunteers. We have in-patients and out-patients (some who live in veterans homes in Lowell) most come from the hospital, for the dinners. We usually have several cadets from the U S Air Force ROTC, detachment 345, who volunteer there time, to help serve and clean up.
In 1968 the old Chinese restaurant sign (China Dragon) was removed and the American Legion sign was installed. In the mid 1980s the sign was damaged by vandals and replaced with the sign that stands today.
In 1969 we began to sponsor an American Legion Youth baseball team. High school boys, who were 18 and younger as of July 31 were eligible. The team continued until it merged with the Lowell post in 1980. Tyngsborough then dropped sponsorship in 1981. As of this posting we have the honor of sponsoring a new team, with aid from Dracut Post #315 and our Legion family. This is a fast all star type of baseball.
In 1975, through 1978, the post also sponsored a very successful youth hockey team. the first 2 years was 11 and 12 year old Pee Wees, last 2 years, was 13 and 14 year old Bantams.
In 1972 the members lounge was remodeled, and a horse shoe bar was added. The men's and ladies rooms were relocated and improved, the function hall bar was enlarged to a horse shoe bar as well.
In the mid to late 1970s we were awarded the American Legion Dept of Massachusetts Child Welfare award two years in a row for various fund raisers. The second of the two years the post was also awarded the National American Legion Child Welfare award.
The American Legion Family, consists of, the Legion, the Ladies Auxiliary and the Sons of the American Legion, we also have a very strong and active Amvets Unit (that we call Family).
In 1980 the Sons were granted the charter for Squadron #247, Robert Roach Was overseer and the first elections were held. The first Commander was Wesley W. Russell and Sr vice was Danny L. Russell, The Squadron lost its charter for lack of members 2 years later. However the charter was again granted 20 years later and they are strong under the Command of Brian Laplante.
On Sept 26, 1946 a group of women gathered for the purpose of forming an Auxiliary unit at post 247 Tyngsborough. There were 12 women present, some of these women are still volunteering today. Those present , Mrs. Bertha Knight - Mrs. Ethel Ahearn - Mrs Rita Jordan - Miss Ruth Lorman - Mrs Dorothy Jordan - Mrs Hazel Lorman - Mrs Marjorie Dupuis - Mrs Pauline Wilber - Mrs Ethel Dupuis - Mrs Gertrude LaFrance - Mrs Anna Cobleigh - Mrs Eva Jordan. The following officers were elected: President- Mrs Bertha Knight Treasurer- Mrs Ethel Ahearn Secretary - Mrs Marjorie Dupuis. It was voted that dues was to be $2.00 for each member. The remaining officer seats were voted on and filled at the meeting of October 10, 1946. The Auxiliary has since grown and as always continues there support of the Legion programs and our veterans.
In 2008 The Post was mandated by the state to install a fire suppression system throughout the building. Under the direction of all officers a mortgage
was secured by Commander Desrosiers for a 12 year term, However with the outstanding work of our Finance Officer Ted Thing and all members of the post and community we held fund raisers and post events and we were able to discharge that mortgage in under 6 years.
In 2013 The Driveway was repaired, 2 new bar coolers and a new dishwasher were installed allowing the post to move forward to aid the Veterans and community.